Mushrooms Bison Pot Roast
2.5 lb. bison chuck roast (substitute ground bison or beefalo and saute in base to make a ragu)
1 lb. chanterelles or 1 lb shiitake (stems removed about 1.25 lbs. with stems)
6 large cloves garlic (1.5 oz or 38 gr by weight)
2 lbs ripe red roma tomatoes
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3 sprigs fresh oregano
15 medium sprigs fresh thyme
2 oz regular or rosemary infused olive oil
parsley for garnish
fresh ground pepper
½ cup stock (I used lamb bone & mushroom)
optional- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
Total cooking time for base 2 hours, total time for roast 12 hours
Makes 6 13.5 oz servings
This recipe can be adapted for a Vegan or Vegetarian diet by substituting tempeh or vegetables
(being careful to adjust broth for water heavy vegetables such as zucchini) as mushrooms are high in protein.
- crush garlic and set aside for 15 minutes to allow Allicin in garlic to develop, then chop coarsely
- core Roma tomato (removing just the small bit at the end where the stem was attached to the fruit) and cut into large chunks
- strip herbs from their stems
- bring olive oil to warm in t stainless steel pot add garlic & herbs, let warm slowly until garlic begins to “murmur”, about 7-10 minutes
Coarsely Chop Garlic
- add tomatoes, do not stir, cover, allow to sit about 45 minutes, stir, cook 30 minutes more
- clean mushrooms, remove dirt and end bits from chanterelles or remove stems from shiitakes (beforehand and make broth or save for making broth in paper bag in fridge)
- cut mushrooms into strips
- add mushrooms, cover and allow to cook for about 30 minutes
- turn off heat and let rest 30 minutes more.
You now have your base and can use this for a variety of dishes, meat, vegan & vegetarian
- Place roast in crock pot, add ½ cup broth and place base on top, do not stir.
Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, until roast falls apart easily.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Portion and store in glass jars as tomatoes are acidic and should not be stored in plastic or metal. Place in fridge or freeze. Will keep for at least 10 days if jarred hot and seal is created.